Hundreds of migrants try to storm Spain's enclave of Ceuta

The latest assault on the 6-meter (20 foot) fence happened in the Sidi Ibrahim area in the early hours of Sunday, according to the Delegation of the Spanish Government in Ceuta.

Last year, Global News reported the cases of an 8-year-old Ivorian boy found hiding inside a suitcase, and a Guinean man discovered crammed inside the hood of a auto.

Police released a photo of the 19-year-old man from Gabon who had managed to squeeze himself inside the cramped bag.

The woman was arrested. She was ordered by immigration officers to open her suitcase, which was tied to a trolley.

In a separate recent attempt a vehicle was stopped and one person found hiding in the dashboard and another under a back seat.

More than 50 Moroccan and Spanish border guards were injured repelling around 1,100 African migrants who attempted to storm a border fence and enter Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta, Spanish authorities said Sunday.

Spanish authorities, for their part, said that two would-be migrants were allowed into Ceuta to be taken care of at a local hospital while the rest were returned to Morocco.

Dozens of migrants made it to the top of the six-metre barbed wire fence yesterday before being lifted down by cranes, footage from local TV station Faro TV showed.

Five Spanish policemen and 50 members of the Moroccan forces were injured, including one who lost an eye, it said.

Another 100 migrants climbed the fence, but Spanish agents sent them straight back to Morocco.

There have been many such attempts by sub-Saharan Africans living illegally in Morocco, who desperately want to reach Europe.

Spain is keen for its small enclaves in Africa not to become easy entry points into Europe.

  • Jon Douglas