Götze ruled out for the rest of the season

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Mario Goetze will miss the rest of the season while he receives treatment for a metabolic disorder that is causing muscle problems, the Bundesliga club said on Wednesday.

The 24-year-old has responded well to the first phase of treatment for the disorder after being diagnosed back in February. In the meantime, the 2014 FIFA World Cup victor will pursue his own individual training programme.

Dortmund added: "The long-term target for the player is to be fully fit and ready to play for the start of next season".

Last month, Dortmund revealed that medical tests to see why Goetze had been suffering from repeated injury and a lack of form had shown up "metabolic disturbances".

Dortmund also confirmed the forward's initial treatment had been a "positive" experience, and he will continue to train away from the first team.

Dortmund's chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said: 'BVB wishes Mario Gotze a quick recovery on behalf of its 10 million fans'.

Gotze, who scored the winning goal in the 2014 World Cup final against Argentina, rejoined Dortmund last summer after a three-year spell with Bayern.

He seemingly remains an important part of the squad at Signal Iduna Park, though, with Thomas Tuchel backing Gotze to play a pivotal role for the club in the future.

  • Angelo Rivera