WHO confirms second Ebola case in Congo outbreak
- Author: Delores Daniels May 15, 2017,
May 15, 2017, 6:13
We always take this very seriously."The last outbreak of Ebola in Congo was in 2014 and killed 42 people". People don't need to panic, Congo has had outbreak in the past, and this is about their eighth outbreak since 1976. There is no specific treatment for the disease.
Ebola killed more than 11,300 people and infected some 28,600 from 2013, as it swept through Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia and caused alarm around the world.In June past year WHO declared Liberia free of active Ebola virus transmission.
Last week, the World Health Organization said nearly 12,000 people had participated in a ground-breaking vaccine trial the agency organized in Guinean capital Conakry through to January past year.
The Nigerian Government has urged its citizens to remain calm after anew oubreak of the Ebola virus was reported last week.
Final results from the trial published in The Lancet released last December showed the experimental vaccine offered protection against the virus and would help to bolster an early response to future outbreaks.
"WHO and partners are supporting the ministry of health of the Democratic Republic of the Congo on the Ebola response DRC".
It said the health zone at Likati some 1,300 km from Kinshasa was very hard to access but stressed it was crucial to pinpoint who had had contact with those affected in order to nip the latest outbreak in the bud. It can be transmitted by close contact with infected animals or people, usually through blood or other bodily fluids.
The WHO confirmed one of the deaths as a case of Ebola in a lab in Kinshasa, the DRC's largest city.
Dr. Allarangar Yokouide, the World Health Organization representative in Congo, said the first teams of specialists should arrive in the affected area of Likati on Friday or Saturday.
WHO's regional director for Africa, Matshidiso Moeti, went to the Congolese capital, Kinshasa, on Friday to discuss disease response.