Healthy SC teen dies of heart problems after too much caffeine

NBC News reports that the death of a 16-year-old student last month in SC has officially been deemed a caffeine overdose.

Watts said the teen had consumed multiple caffeinated drinks that day, including a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte, and also some kind of energy drink. The teen had consumed the three beverages in a two hour period before his death, which Watts says caused the deadly caffeine overdose.

Davis Allen Cripe, 16, died on April 26 at Palmetto Health Parkridge Hospital after collapsing in a classroom at Spring Hill High School.

"What we want to do here today is to make people understand that these drinks - this amount of caffeine, how it's ingested, can have dire consequences. Instead, it was an energy drink", Cripe said, according to NBC News.

The autopsy showed "no unfounded" or "undiagnosed heart condition", Watts said.

Sean Cripe said he hopes that if nothing else comes out of this, parents and kids will realize the dangers of caffeinated beverages.

EMS received the call about Davis collapsing in class at 2:28 p.m., Watts said.

Part of the danger in what happened to Davis, Watts said, is that caffeine and energy drinks affect people differently.

'This is what's unsafe about this - you can have five people line up and all of them do the exact same thing with him that day, drink more, and it may not have any type of effect on them at all, ' he said.

The daily recommended limit for a healthy adult is 400mg of caffeine a day.

The FDA has reported in the past that teenagers have died of heart arrhythmias after consuming large amounts of Monster Energy drinks.

However, the site goes on to state people with pre-existing conditions are more susceptible to potential complications from too much caffeine, and references three incidents of "death by energy drink".

"It wasn't a vehicle crash that took his life". "Parents, please, talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks".

  • Anthony Vega