British police confirm 8th person killed in London Bridge attack

The death toll from Saturday's terror attack in London now stands at eight after the recovery of a body from the River Thames, British police said on Wednesday.

The BBC reports that Thomas was last seen on London Bridge walking with his girlfriend, who was seriously injured in the violence.

"Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Mr. Thomas' next of kin have been informed of this development".

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the search for Thomas continued on Wednesday.

Number of people killed as a result of #London terror attack is now eight.

As the Two-Way has reported, three attackers opened their assault on London Bridge by ramming pedestrians, then left the vehicle on foot and began stabbing people in nearby Borough Market.

After that incident, Italian authorities entered his information in SIS - the Schengen Information System - a network that allows Schengen countries to enter and consult intelligence about people wanted or missing, the papers said.

Valeria Khadija Collina, who is Italian and converted to Islam, spoke in an interview with Italy's L'Espresso news magazine about her son, Youssef Zaghba, 22, one of the perpetrators of the June 3 attack.

They were Khuram Shazad Butt, Rachid Redouane, both from Barking, east London and Youssef Zaghba, 23, who is believed to be Moroccan-Italian.

Zaghba was stopped at Bologna's airport trying to fly to Turkey in March past year over concerns he was intending to travel on to Syria, according to reports.

Reaction to the attack has dominated the final days of campaigning before Thursday's general election, with opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn and others criticizing May for cutting police numbers by roughly 20,000 during her tenure as home secretary.

Two men were arrested by police "supported by firearms officers" on a street in Ilford, east London, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Scotland Yard said seven women and five men aged between 19 and 60 have been arrested under the Terrorism Act.

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Wednesday that a second French citizen has been confirmed killed in the attack.

Butt had been investigated in 2015, was known by neighbors to be an extremist and was featured previous year in a documentary on Britain's Channel 4 called "The Jihadis Next Door".

Now, the Met Police has released images of what was found inside the white van used by the killers.

Last night 15 people remained in a critical condition and Australian nurse Kirsty Boden was named as the third fatality.

  • Delores Daniels