West Indies keep cool to beat England in T20

A sell-out Durham crowd will be denied a rematch between local favourite Ben Stokes and his World Twenty20 conqueror Carlos Brathwaite on Saturday, but England captain Eoin Morgan insists resting the all-rounder is the right decision.

Earlier Chris Gayle (40) and Lewis (51) got West Indies off to a flying start, putting on 77 for the first wicket.

The West Indies innings came undone just a little after that as Marlon Samuels (10), Chadwick Walton (13) and Kieron Pollard (6) failed to kick on.

While the West Indies also have two World Cup titles behind them, England have yet to win a major global one-day worldwide trophy, with the 2010 World Twenty20 in the Caribbean their lone piece of worldwide Cricket Council silverware.

"This was probably more challenging; the conditions were hard to deal with and I think the umpires were close to calling it off, but I was pleased with the boys".

The North East Ambulance Service responded to a 999 call and took the woman to Newcastle's RVI Hospital, where she was admitted and kept overnight. The umpires were in agreement with us but then we thought we will give it a go and see if there are any slips, and there wasn't.

West Indies captain Jason Holder
West Indies captain Jason Holder

But Yorkshire's Plunkett, who is in the England squad for the match, feels the time may be right to rest Stokes.

Tweet of the matchStat of the day100: Chris Gayle became the first batsmen to score a century of sixes in Twenty20 internationals, and moved to 103 by the end of his innings.

Brathwaite caught England Test skipper Joe Root (17) on the drive off Ashley Nurse.

Hales (43) hit boundaries at will but after looking set to record the fastest England T20I fifty he marched down the wicket to Carlos Brathwaite yorking himself and losing his off stump.

In response, the home side was all out for 155.

England fast bowler Liam Plunkett is excited by the prospect of facing West Indies' big-hitter Chris Gayle in an upcoming one-day worldwide series.

• Angelo Rivera