United States bombers conduct military drills over Korean peninsula
- Author: Jon Douglas Oct 12, 2017,
Oct 12, 2017, 0:14
"Through the practice this time, South Korean and US Air Forces showed off the allies resolve for strong retaliation against North Korea's nuclear and missile threats", it said.
U.S. defense officials have told CNN that the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan will conduct scheduled exercises with the South Korean navy off the peninsula at the end of this month.
The U.S. bombers took off from the Andersen Air Force base in Guam, the U.S. Pacific territory that North Korea singled out as a possible target for a missile strike over the summer, as President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un engaged in bombastic rhetoric and brinkmanship. Two days previous to that comment the president said on the social media platform that Pyongyang had violated agreements "before the ink was dry, making fools of USA negotiators".
Rep. Lee Cheol-hee, a lawmaker for the ruling Democratic Party who sits on the National Defense Committee, said defense sources told him that North Korean hackers previous year stole the classified U.S.
North Korea has been conducting regular missile tests in recent months as well as testing a nuclear warhead in September, all part of its bid to establish a nuclear deterrent to what it sees as a military threat from the US.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff say the bombers flew from Anderson Air Force base in Guam and entered the Korean Air Defense Identification Zone at around 8:50 p.m.
North Korea is also facing strong sanctions from the US and firm condemnation from the global community in the wake of repeated missile launches and nuclear tests.
North Korea expert, Lim Eul-chul, said: "It may sound insane to outsiders to fire missiles from a place he wants to develop economically, but that's how Kim runs his country".
The Pentagon also declined to comment specifically on reports of the potential breach, but spokesman Col. Robert Manning said on Tuesday that the United States is "confident in the security of our operations plans and our ability to deal with any threat from North Korea". He revealed that around 235 gigabytes of military documents had been stolen from the Defence Integrated Data Centre, and that 80% of them have yet to be identified. Other stolen data included contingency plans for South Korean special forces and information on military facilities and power plants, he said. More recently, Seoul accused North Korea of having hacked, stolen and leaked sensitive military secrets and Seoul-Washington war plans.