24 passengers fall ill due to food poisoning on Tejas Express

The passengers complained of pain and nausea after eating the breakfast served by the in-house pantry on the train around 10 in the morning. A resident of Dombivali, Tripti Desai said she also vomitted several times on her way to Mumbai but decided not to deboard at Chiplun and instead alighted at Panvel. The train was on its way from Goa's Karmali to Mumbai's Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus. The passengers are said to be stable.

"Today (Sunday), 26 passengers travelling in 22120 Karmali - CSTM Tejas Exp suffered from food poisoning". The train was stopped at Chiplun station as 12 of the 26 passengers were severely afflicted with diarrhea and vomiting and had to be rushed to Chiplun's private Life Care Hospital by railway authorities. As per a report by the Indian Express, the passengers are out of danger. "KRCL is providing all necessary assistance @RailMinIndia", the KRCL said in a tweet. According to Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) officials, while the onboard catering is handled by IRCTC, the food in the train is provided by a third party contractor.

"First treatment was given to passengers by railway doctor. A total of 230 breakfasts (117 Vegetarian + 113 Non Vegetarian) have been served". IRCTC Director, Catering services, left for Mumbai from New Delhi headquarters to follow up the matter and take immediate action. "But everything is being investigated".

The IRCTC also said that a probe has been launched to ascertain the source of food poisoning.

As reported by the hospital, none of the patients was in serious condition, IRCTC claimed in its statement.

Tejas Express, the country's first high-speed, boasting of Wi-Fi, LCD screens, and automatic doors, was flagged off on May 22.

  • Jon Douglas