Indonesia's Mount Agung Erupts For Second Time In A Week Grounding Flights

Indonesia's Volcano Observatory Notice for Aviation (VONA) said in an alert: "Eruption and ash emission is continuing".

The latest alert - a red warning - means an eruption is forecast to be "imminent" after nearby locals spotted volcanic ash rain.

A volcano on the Indonesian island of Bali delivered a series of eruptions that temporarily disrupted some worldwide flights to the popular tourist destination and dusted nearby resorts and villages with a thin layer of ash.

According to the Associated Press, the latest eruption on Mount Agung occurred around 5:30 p.m. Saturday, the National Disaster Mitigation Agency reported.

Bali's Mount Agung has erupted again, sending ash some 4,900 feet into the air.

Disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said ash clouds were moving away from the global airport, which remained open, The Guardian reported. It is still gushing and the dark grey clouds are moving toward the neighbouring island of Lombok, a direction that is away from Bali's airport, where almost all scheduled domestic and worldwide flights were continuing Sunday.

Mount Agung
YOUTUBEMount Agung emitted a thick plume of smoke reaching 4,000m

The island's main airport is for now operating normally, but some airlines have cancelled flights.

Evacuation zones, reaching up to 7.5 kilometers from the crater, have been put into place, and about 24,000 residents have been forced to temporary shelters.

The eruptions on Saturday and Tuesday were relatively minor.

Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", an area of tectonic plates that frequently collide, causing seismic and volcanic activity.

The alert status remains at level 3, the second-highest level.

Magma - molten rock - has now been detected close to the volcano's surface, said officials and volcanologists. The last time Mount Agung erupted, in 1963, more than 1000 people died. The alert was lowered on October 29 after a decrease in activity.

  • Jon Douglas