White House blames North Korea for 'Wannacry' ransomware attack

"They shut down accounts the North Korean regime hackers used to launch attacks and patched systems", he said.

Instead, Bossert praised the actions of Facebook, Microsoft, and other private companies that he said "acted to disable a number of north koran cyber exploits", and requested such companies "increase their sharing of information with us".

WannaCry crippled parts of the U.K.'s state-run National Health Service and compromised companies such as FedEx Corp. and Nissan Motor Co. It was cowardly, costly and careless.

Bossert-who cut his teeth in the Bush administration and was the victim of an email phishing attack this August-stated that evidence compiled by DHS had been reviewed by allied nations such as the United Kingdom, Canada, and Japan, which had agreed with the United State's assessment of North Korea's culpability.

President Donald Trump's homeland security adviser, Tom Bossert, said the country was "directly responsible" for the ransomware attack that hit 81 out of 236 NHS trusts in England, plus a further 595 GP practices.

In light of Bessert's op-ed, a follow-up statement from the White House is expected to be released sometime on Tuesday. "President Trump has used just about every lever that you can use short of starving the people of North Korea to death to change their behavior".

"So we don't have a lot of room left here to apply pressure to change their behaviour".

Those who remember May's attack, which locked down the systems of hospitals, banks, and other companies across the USA, might recall Marcus Hutchins-a 22-year-old hacker known as MalwareTech-was credited with stopping the spread of WannaCry.

"We make it way to easy for attackers by operating independently", she told reporters.

"In the 12 months from June 2016 to June 2017 more than one third (122) of the 396 serious incidents recorded by the GCSB's National Cyber Security Centre involved indicators that have previously been linked to state-sponsored actors".

While this isn't the first report we've seen implicating North Korea, this is the first time the U.S. Government, in an official capacity, has chimed in on the matter. "It gives them something else to bring to the table".

In October, Home Office minister Ben Wallace said the UK Government believed "quite strongly" that a foreign state was behind the cyber attack and named North Korea. Kim Jong Un's regime denied any connection. Until now, the US government has not publicly stated as much.

The official noted that the US government has released technical details of North Korean cyber tools and operational infrastructure, and has worked with other countries to lessen North Korea's ability to conduct further tests or generate illicit funding.

The hackers drew global headlines in 2014 when they allegedly broke into Sony Corp.'s movie business as it was preparing to release "The Interview", a Seth Rogen and James Franco comedy about meeting the North Korean leader.

North Korea has grown increasingly adept at breaking into computer systems around the world for financial gain and strategic benefit. -South Korean military plans and the alleged theft of $60 million from a Taiwan bank.

  • Jon Douglas