Many girls reported missing after Boko Haram attack on Yobe Community
- Author: Jon Douglas Feb 22, 2018,
Feb 22, 2018, 0:54
Families and local witnesses speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity said that 91 girls appeared missing Tuesday, and were feared abducted.
In an update, the Yobe State government on Wednesday said 50 out of 926 Dapchi schoolgirls, whose school was attacked by Boko Haram on Monday have not reported back to school. We rushed out and ran towards the gate.
Mohammed said, "Mr. President has directed military and other security agencies to take immediate charge and control of Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi, after he was informed of the development".
The teacher stated that 94 students could not be accounted for following a roll call but added that they have not been able to establish if the girls were abducted or not.
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari announced after a weekly cabinet meeting that a government delegation led by the defence and foreign ministers will visit Dapchi on Thursday.
Some hours later, Abdulmaliki Sumonu, the state commissioner of police, contradicted him by saying 111 girls, not 94 were missing.
"I can not say how many of us (were involved) but I know that our game master was able to escape with about 60 students into the bush".
"Although we were told they had run to some villages, we have been to all these villages mentioned without any luck".
Suspected Boko Haram operatives on Monday stormed the school carting away foodstuff amongst other valuables. "No case of abduction has so far been established", he added.
Abubakar Shehu, whose niece is among those missing from Dapchi, told AFP: "Our girls have been missing for two days and we don't know their whereabouts". We have 1,000 students in this school. "We have the feeling they were taken by the gunmen".
"God forbids that we are indeed missing daughters who went to school once again".
About 100 of the 276 girls abducted by Boko Haram from Chibok in 2014 are still believed to be with their captors.
A source said security agents are after the terrorists, while the school authorities are taking a head count of students.
Boko Haram's insurgency in the country began in 2009.
But despite Buhari's repeated claims the group is weakened to the point of defeat, civilians remain vulnerable to suicide attacks and hit-and-run raids in the remote northeast.