Protests rock Kashmir after Indian soldiers kill 'civilians'

Kashmir erupted in protests against the death of the four youths, who were killed along with two Lashkar militants.

Many conflicts including stone-pelting emitted in Shopian as individuals turned out in the city to challenge asserted regular citizen passings in the south Kashmir locale on Sunday evening. Police later found another apparent civilian dead in a separate auto. Later, the body of a militant was found at an apple orchard at Saidipora some 8 to ten kilometers far away from Pahnoo village.

Ashiq, as per army, was active since November a year ago and was a category-B militant.

Indian military spokesman Col Rajesh Kalia said earlier, an army vehicle was sacked upon by militants in Pohan village, Shopian district, 53 km south of Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian controlled Kashmir.

When the vehicle he was driving reached Pinzura, it came under heavy fire and he was hit by at least four bullets.

On the night of March 4, security forces had killed a militant and three youths in a shootout after the mobile check post of the army was sacked upon.

Waheed Ahmad, a resident of Shopian, said, "The army's claim that the four civilians were accomplices or had anything to do with militancy is a blatant lie".

A militant and three others accompanying have been killed in an army ambush in restive Indian occupied Kashmir (IoK), officials said.

The slain militant was identified by police as Aamir Ahmad Malik of Harmain, Shopian. According to the Army, an Army Mobile Vehicle Check Post was deployed along road Trenz- Pinzoora near village Pohanu on Sunday.

The vehicles continued to move despite being signalled to stop by the troops. "At this point, when a search light was flashed towards the approaching vehicles, heavy firing came from both the vehicles", the army spokesman said.

"Our troops, in self defence, responded to the same with fire". During the exchange of fire one militant was killed instantly and later three OGWs were found dead.

Hundreds of people, including some gun-toting militants reportedly attended the funeral of a slain Lashkar-e-Taiba commander in south Kashmir despite prohibitory orders and a clamp down on internet services across the Kashmir Valley.

The army claimed recovering one AK-74, 3 magazines and 88 rounds from the dead militant. The body of the fourth person, a student, was found in another vehicle this morning.

  • Angelo Rivera