1 deputy killed, 1 critical in shooting in Kansas, sheriff says

Wyandotte County Sheriff's Deputy Patrick Rohrer, 35, was killed Friday morning outside the county courthouse annex.

He also addressed the fact that there have been four officer shootings in Wyandotte County in three years. He had worked for the department for seven years.

Authorities have identified the Wyandotte County sheriff's deputy who died Friday after he and another deputy were shot while transporting an inmate.

The Kansas Capitol Police tweeted their prayers. The investigation into the shooting is continuing.

Police Capt. Lionel Colón says he doesn't know if the woman was armed with the sword when she was killed.

The name of the wounded deputy and the suspect were not released by Friday afternoon.

Additional information was not released.

The Fraternal Order of Police in Kansas City, Kansas, said in a statement: 'We are praying for our friends at the Wyandotte County Sheriff's Officer, their families, friends and our entire blue family.

Colón says he's "very confident it was a last-resort situation to ensure the safety of the public". The department is leading the investigation.

The deputies were transporting two inmates to court for a hearing when they were "overcome", according to Lt. Kelli Bailiff with the Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office.

However, although he was put in the Jackson County Jail for the 2017 murder, Fielder was still going through the Wyandotte County Court system due to previous charges for carjacking.

The suspect was also shot, and police did not reveal their condition.

Blair added to the Star that police were not looking for any other suspects and that the incident "is contained".

Kansas City police spokesman Zac Blair said officers were speaking with witnesses about how the shooting happened.

Two sheriff's deputies were fatally shot when an inmate overpowered them near a Kansas courthouse on Friday, officials said.

John Garcia - a witness who was in the courthouse services building during the shooting - told the paper he heard several shots in the parking lot behind the building and saw who was shot before he and others were taken back into the courtroom and later allowed to exit from the front. The juvenile's condition is unknown.

Working major incident in the 800 block of North 7th, details unclear at this time.

Chief Terry Zeigler with the Kansas City, Kan.

  • Anthony Vega