Thai cave boys won't see World Cup live

Prior to this, the boys, aged between 11 and 16 years old, had no idea that the diver had died.

One boy covers his face as he cries.

'All of the boys who were evacuated from the cave have been informed of the death of one of the rescuers, ' Dr Jesada Chockbamrungsuk, who is in charge of their treatment announced. Some of the boys appear to be crying in the photos.

Upon hearing the news, numerous boys cried and wrote messages of thanks to the former Navy SEAL.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol gave a prognosis for the boys, and said, "Psychologists have been talking to the kids, with the kids, their mental well-being is good today".

He added: 'We told them about the death of Navy Seal Kunan as part of the process of preparing the boys to go back home and to lead normal lives'. One Thai Navy SEAL died trying to save the group.

They've been receiving medical treatment at a hospital in Chiang Rai.

France play Croatia in the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday, at 10 Thailand.

The boys and their coach were invited to attend the final by world soccer governing body Federation Internationale de Football Association, but they are unable to go for medical reasons.

A handout photo made available by the Thai government shows the first images of the boys from a youth soccer team as they are treated at the hospital in Chiang Rai province, Thailand, on Wednesday.

The 12 and their coach are recovering both physically and mentally and will be discharged from hospital on Thursday, July 19, Piyasakol told reporters.

The last of the 12-member "Wild Boars" soccer team and their coach were brought out of the Tham Luang cave, near the border with Myanmar, on Tuesday night, safely ending a perilous rescue and evoking worldwide relief and joy.

The footage of the boys from a Saturday news conference shows them still wearing surgical masks, a safeguard against infection since the last of them was pulled from a cave on Tuesday after being trapped for nearly three weeks.

They were found nine days later, and the complex rescue took several days to plan and more than 100 volunteers to complete.

Upon their exit, the youngsters were transported to hospital where they have remained since then.

A team from around the world staged a spectacular rescue earlier this week.

The disappearance of the young footballers and their protracted, daring rescue captivated the world.

  • Jon Douglas