Texas Man Dies After Vaping Pen Explodes

A 24-year-old man from Fort Worth, Texas, died last week after a vape pen he'd recently purchased exploded in his face and severed his left carotid artery, according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office.

The medical examiner ruled William Brown's cause of death as penetrating trauma from an exploding vaporizer pen.

William Eric Brown, 24, was using the vaping device in his auto outside the Smoke & Vape DZ store in North Fort Worth on January 27, just moments after purchasing it, according to his grandmother.

Brown's grandmother, Alice Brown, who said she raised her grandson as if he was her own son, blamed the vape pen's battery for the fatal explosion.

'It just all seems so unreal. "That three-piece thing went into his throat and stayed there, and that's what (doctors) should have taken out as soon as they got to the hospital, and they made a decision to wait until Monday or Tuesday".

Brown is the second person in the US known to have died due to an exploding e-cigarette.

The e-cigarette explosion reportedly took place on Jan 27 in the parking lot outside a store selling smoking and vaping products.

The newspaper also cited US Fire Administration statistics from 2017 showing that 133 acute injuries from e-cigarettes, vaporizers and other similar devices were reported between 2009 and 2016.

Brown had gone into the shop to ask for help using his vape pen, but did not buy anything, according to KTVT.

She said she believes William Brown was attempting to get help.

Alice retrieved the vape pen from the auto, which had been covered in her grandson's blood. Tallmadge D'Elia died in May from the incident and suffered burns on 80 percent of his body.

Brown's grandmother said she's not interested in suing because it won't bring her grandson back.

At the time, there were no reports of deaths from e-cigarettes. A Kansas man sued a Wichita vaper shop previous year after he said the spare battery for his e-cigarette exploded in the front pocket of his trousers. A piece of the e-cigarette was found in his throat and he was put into a medically-induced coma.

A man has been killed just days shy of his 25th birthday after an e-cigarette exploded in his face.

Mohamad Zayid Abdihdy was checking out a TV when his e-cigarette exploded in his trousers pocket.

  • Jon Douglas